Q&A #1

Last semester tumblr user aminataaa (who's French) asked me a couple of questions regarding how I felt about attending a French university and the French. I thought they were really good questions so instead of answering them on Tumblr I've decided to dedicate entirely to her questions. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me or send me questions on Tumblr, I'm looking forward doing more of these posts in order to help current and future study abroad students.


Since the questions are in French and I understand that not everyone can read French I will provide the English translation in italics. 

1. Salut Laura, je te prie de me pardonner à l'avance mais je pense t'harceler de questions pendant un bon moment parce que 1: je m'ennuie et 2 :je veux connaître ta vision de Paris en tant qu'étudiante américaine. // Hi Laura, I beg you to forgive me in advance but I think I will harass you with questions for a good moment because 1: I'm bored and 2: I will like to know your thoughts about Paris as an American Student.

2. Alors, comment se passe tes cours, as-tu déjà été confrontée à la désorganisation générale des facs de Paris ? // So, how have your classes been, have you already confronted the general desorganization of the universities of Paris?

Mes cours étaient bien, mais ils ont été extrêmement inorganisés par rapport aux cours américaines, où ils ont un plan du semestre a mis en place dès le premier jours que vous arrivez au cours. Parfois, il semblait que mes profs ne savaient pas quoi faire et les élèves n'avaient tout simplement pas les soinsCertains sont entrés dans le cours une heure en retard, certains oublient de faire leurs présentations, et tricher juste en face du prof sans aucune conséquenceces choses sont absolument interdit dans mes cours aux Etats-Unis. // My classes were ok but they were extremely unorganized compared to my American classes where you're given a syllabus with everything planned out for the rest of the semester within the first days of class. Sometimes it seemed like my teachers did not know what to do and the students didn't care. Some would arrive an hour late, others would forget to do their presentations, and others would cheat right in front of the teacher without a consequence- those things are prohibited in my American classes.

3. Comment trouves tu ta fac ? Le plus important t'es tu fais des amis français parce que dans ma fac tous les étudiants en échanges restent entre eux // How did you find your college? And most importantly did you make some French friends because in my campus all the exchange students stayed among themselves.

J'adore ma fac mais j'ai trouvé les étudiants français difficile pour parler. J'ai fais quelques amis français mais pas beaucoup en comparant avec mes amis étrangers. Tous les étudiants en échange restent entre eux, ça est vrai. // I love my college but I found the French difficult to talk to. I did make some French friends but not as many compared to my foreign friends. It's very true all the exchange students stay among themselves.

4. Quelle est la chose qui t'as vraiment choquée ou surprise à Paris par rapport aux coutumes ou gens tout simplement ? // What is the thing that has really shocked or surprised you about Paris from customs to the people? 

Rien ne m'a choqué beaucoup depuis que j'avais déjà une idée de comment les Parisiens sont avant de venir iciJe suppose que l'une des choses qui m'a surpris est que les foules des concerts et "DJ sets" sont vraiment mélangés, je m'attendais vraiment une foule homogène, comme aux Etats-UnisAussi le manque de sécurité aux concerts m'a surpris. // Nothing has shocked me much since I already had an idea of how the Parisians were prior to coming here. I guess one of the things that has surprised me are the mixed crowds at concerts and DJ sets, I was really expecting a homogeneous crowd like in the United States. Also the lack of security at concerts surprised me.

5. Es-ce aussi difficile de venir étudier à Paris sue d'étudier aux Etats-Unis car les procédures d'admissions ont l'air assez hard personnellement ça m'a découragée. //  Is it difficult to study in Paris to study than in the United States because the admission procedures seem hard enough that they discouraged me personally.

Heureusement nous avions une procédure d'admission différente de celle des français, donc pour moi je n'ai jamais senti découragé. Mais je peux certainement voir comment un élève pourrait se découragerCe qui me décourage au début était l'inscription aux cours, car je me sentais extrêmement perdu et confus, j'ai senti que j'allais continuer dans cette voie pour le reste du semestre dans mes cours mais ça n'était pas le cas. // Fortunately we had a different admission procedure than the French so for me I never felt discouraged. But I can definitely see how a student would get discouraged. What discouraged me at the beginning was registering for classes because I felt extremely lost and confused, I felt that I was going to continue on that path for the rest of the semester in my classes which wasn't the case.

6. ENFIN, les français sont-ils aussi impolis et désagréables que la majorité de la planète semble le penser (rétablissons la vérité ^^) ? // Finally, are the French are so rude and unpleasant that the majority of the planet seems to think so?

Certains français sont impolis, je dois admettre. Peut-être que c'est parce que je ne suis pas un odieuse américaine et je suis toujours attentif de la façon que je l'approche des français, mais j'ai rencontré beaucoup de personnes amables iciJ'ai eu les français viennent vers moi au supermarché pour me proposer de l'aide et suggérer des choses pour moi. Je ne peux pas me plaindre des français contrairement à certaines personnes dans monprogramme d'échange. // Some are rude, I have to admit but fortunately I haven't ran into many rude French. Maybe it's because I'm not an obnoxious American and I'm always careful of how I approach the French but I've encountered many nice French people here. I've had French people come up to me at the supermarket out of nowhere to offer me help and suggest things to me. I can't complain about the French unlike other people in my exchange program.

No comments:

Post a Comment